contention on profile_lock

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 15:01:23 EST

Hmm, the last patch you sent me worked ok, so I'm not sure why we're seeing
problems with profiling now. There seems to be very heavy contention on
profile_lock since profile_hook is called unconditionally every timer tick.
Should it only be called if profiling is enabled? Is there a way we can
check the notifier list to see if it's empty before calling it or something?
The only user appears to be oprofile timer based profiling, so in the general
case we're taking the profile_lock and not doing anything.

Thanks,
Jesse