Re: 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 Dual Opteron glitches

From: Daniel Egger
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 17:56:16 EST

On 02.11.2004, at 17:58, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

I am using a not-so-new Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 based Dual Opteron
System.

Mine is a Tyan Tiger K8W. :)

2) 64 bit kernel vgettimeofday panic: The kernel panics in

Cannot confirm this, both 2.6.8.1 and 2.6.9 boot OK.

Could be the compiler, I'm using a gcc HEAD snapshot from yesterday.

However since I do not have any problems with the panics replaced by
printk I have troubles to understand the meaning of them.

3) Interrupt distribution 32 bit vs. 64 bit. Below is a copy of the

Cannot confirm this, interrupts seem to be almost equally distributed
with 64-bit kernel and irqbalance running. Did you note that x86_64 does
not provide in-kernel IRQ balancing.

Fair enough. Thanks for the pointer.

4) ACPI powermanagement (32bit and 64bit): No matter which ACPI options

AFAIK power management is almost unsupported on SMP systems.

Strange. The ACPI tables seem to be filled with valueable information
which I can enable pretty finegrained in the BIOS and I even seem to get
somewhat useful options with the first CPU.

Also /proc/cpuinfo mentions powermanagement:
TLB size : 1088 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp

Whatever ts and ttp may mean.

I'd really love to have this machine running and use its power on demand
instead of having to think about a more sophisticated airflow to keep
the temperature (of idle CPUs) and thus the noiselevel down.

Servus,
Daniel