Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: DervishD
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 15:00:43 EST

Hi Gene :)

* Gene Heskett <gheskett@xxxxxxxx> dixit:
> >Traditionally, a common cause for such wedging was a lost/misplaced
> > interrupt from an I/O operation, so a read()/write()/ioctl() call
> > wouldn't return because the device hadn't reported it completed.
> > (tape drives were notorious for this). Often, power-cycling the I/O
> > device would cause an unsolicited interrupt to be generated, which
> > would clear the "waiting for interrupt" issue and allow the process
> > to return....
> Well, since the "device", a bt878 based Haupagge tv card is sitting in
> a pci socket, thats even more drastic than a reboot.

Do you mean your Hauppage got stuck in disk-sleep state? Wow,
that's sound *weird*...

I think that the parent (which is whatever process did the fork
when you clicked your mouse) is still alive and forgetting to do the
'wait()' for its children.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736