Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: Russell Miller
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 17:53:42 EST

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 16:15, Jim Nelson wrote:

> I did this to myself a number of times when I was first learning Samba -
> even an ls would become unkillable. You couldn't rmmod smb, since it was
> in use, and you couldn't kill the process, since it was waiting on a
> syscall. Ergh.

I'm not going to pretend to be a kernel expert, or really anything other than
a newbie when it comes to kernel internals, so please take this with the
merits it deserves - many, or none, depending.

Anyway, is there a way to simply signal a syscall that it is to be interrupted
and forcibly cause the syscall to end? Kicking the program execution out of
kernel space would be sufficient to "unstick" the process - and coupling that
with an automatic KILL signal may not be a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure that someone will think of a way why this wouldn't work with
very little effort. Please enlighten me?

--Russell

--

Russell Miller - rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Le Mars, IA
Duskglow Consulting - Helping companies just like you to succeed for ~ 10 yrs.