Re: [uml-user] Harddisk Shutdown while UML Guest Shutdown

From: Blaisorblade
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 19:44:57 EST

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 20:21, Roland Kaeser wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thank You for Your answer. But my host kernel is a 2.6.7 with the skas
> patch. The guest is a 2.6.9. Just an another info: The behaviour does not
> depend on the hostfs configuration. It also happens when I use a ubd
> device.

> And no, the HOST!! freezes after exit of the guest kernel.

> And i get a
> Kernel panic from the HOST!! kernel, this in case the host (ide) harddisk
> drive spins down (but not spins up anymore).
Yes, I already understood this.

> My idea is that some routines
> to spin down the harddisk are been routed outside the uml guest kernel or
> not been sucessfully removed for the uml architecture.

> Is it possible that
> the /sbin/halt binary can have made something with the hosts harddisk?
I don't think that /sbin/halt itself can do anything. I would be suspicious of
hdparm, instead. It would be a UML bug anyway, but it's the more likely thing
it's possible to cause this.

> How can i get the kernel panic message from the host?

If you are on a virtual console, you see them on your screen. Otherwise, how
did you guess you have a kernel panic? Messages on /var/log/messages (I guess
no)? Or what?

--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729