Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: Pedro Venda (SYSADM)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 11:33:28 EST

Jim Nelson wrote:
DervishD wrote:

Hi Gene :)

* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:

Then the children are reparented to 'init' and 'init' gets rid
of them. That's the way UNIX behaves.

Unforch, I've *never* had it work that way. Any dead process I've ever had while running linux has only been disposable by a reboot.

Well, you know, shit happens... Anyway, could you define 'dead'?
Because if you're talking about zombies whose parent dies, they're
killable easily: just wait until init reaps them (usually in less
than 5 minutes since they dead). If you are talking about zombies who
has their parent alive, then it's a bug in the application, not the
kernel. In fact I wouldn't like if the kernel reaps my children
before I do, just in case I want to do something.

If you're talking about unkillable processes (those stuck in
disk-sleep state), you're right: only rebooting can kill them
(although sometimes they go out of D state and die normally). Bad
luck for you if any dead process you've ever had while running linux
has been of this kind :(

I did this to myself a number of times when I was first learning Samba - even an ls would become unkillable. You couldn't rmmod smb, since it was in use, and you couldn't kill the process, since it was waiting on a syscall. Ergh.

the exact same happened to me, but my case was with ntfs. zip processes just got stuch in "D" state because of some unhandled names... i couldn't kill the processes. i don't think this is an easy thing to do, tough it should be possible to kill -9 these processes and make them exit.

is this feasible?

regards,
pedro venda.
--