Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 15:31:11 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 04 November 2004 07:12, Jan Knutar wrote:

On Thursday 04 November 2004 13:57, Gene Heskett wrote:

I'e had that turned on since forever Jan, but usually, when its
hung someplace, its well and truely hung, and hardware reset
button time.

Are you saying that these zombies (or tasks stuck in state D) also
make sysrq-T hang, and not list all tasks?

I thought I'd test it right now while the system is runnng normally, but I got only a beep from the console, so I went to Documentation/sysrq.txt to make sure I was doing it right, and it is _not_ working right now. But it is compiled in according to a make xconfig, or a grep of the .config.

[root@coyote linux-2.6.10-rc1-bk13]# grep SYSRQ .config
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y

I get a couple of beeps from the console, but thats the limit of the response, and a tail -f on the log shows nothing. I also logged into VC2, and tried it there, but that attempt didn't even get me a beep, several times.

The keyboard is a cheap ($24) M$ with a few extra buttons that don't do anything along the top. And getting a bit creaky in its old age, a lot like me, but I'm about 68 years older than the keyboard :)

Don't need to log in, do need two hands to hit all the keys at once;-) It works for me on a VC and unhung system, but I agree, when the system is well and truly hung reset is the only thing left.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)