Re: 2.6.10-rc1-mm3: ACPI problem due to un-exported hotplug_path

From: Keshavamurthy Anil S
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 00:26:02 EST

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 12:42:09PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:10:12PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

> > > Hm, must be an -mm specific change that is causing this. I don't see
> > > this in the current tree.
> > >
> > > Len, why would any ACPI code be wanting to get access to hotplug_path
> > > directly?
> >

> > I've found it. This wants to introduce a new direct /sbin/hotplug call,
> > with "add" and "remove" events, without sysfs support.
> >
> > It should use class support or kobject_hotplug() instead. Nobody should
> > fake hotplug events anymore, cause every other notification transport
> > will not get called (currently uevent over netlink).
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc1/2.6.10-rc1-mm3/broken-out/bk-acpi.patch
> >
> > +static int
> > +container_run_sbin_hotplug(struct acpi_device *device, char *action)
> > +{
> > + argv[i++] = hotplug_path;
> > + argv[i++] = "container";
> > + argv[i] = NULL;
> > + i = 0;
> > + envp[i++] = "HOME=/";
> > + envp[i++] = "PATH=/sbin;/bin;/usr/sbin;/usr/bin";
> > + envp[i++] = action_str;
> > + envp[i++] = container_str;
> > + envp[i++] = "PLATFORM=ACPI";
> > + envp[i] = NULL;
>
> Good catch. Yeah, that code is just wrong.
>
> Anil, your name is on this file. Care to fix it up to use the proper
> driver core hotplug functionality instead of rolling your own?
>
> Or is there some reason you are wanting to do this kind of notification
> that the driver core is not providing for you?
Greg,
Yes, I agree what you say, we need to use class support or kobject_hotplug().
But in this case "a container object" gets added and this container object has
no direct representation in sysfs. So in this case can you please tell me
what is the best thing to notify user.agent. Sorry I had looked some really old examples when I
wrote this driver.

Also, since you have brought this, I have one another question to you.
Now in the new kernel, I see whenever anybody calls sysdev_register(kobj),
an "ADD" notification is sent. why is this? I would like to call
kobject_hotplug(kobj, ADD) later.

thanks,
Anil