Re: support of older compilers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 12:36:02 EST

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> -rw-r--r-- 1 aeb users 3161708 2004-11-06 01:19 /boot/bzImage-2.6.9test
>
> Probably I select more filesystems than you do.

Ugh, you're right. Doing a reasonably normal build without modules nets us

205K mm/built-in.o
336K kernel/built-in.o
451K sound/built-in.o
864K net/built-in.o
1016K fs/built-in.o
2.3M drivers/built-in.o

which is kind of scary. Of course, in the drivers, about half a meg of
that is just the PCI name translation, so some of it is trivial (and
thrown away at boot), but most of it is just spread out in fat all over.

It's hard to go on a diet.

Linus