Re: Possible GPL infringement in Broadcom-based routers

From: Ryan Anderson
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 16:11:52 EST

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:49:17PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > For the kernel, Linus has clarified the license of the kernel (it is _not_
> > vanilla GPL), see COPYING. And one would assume that if somebody
> > contributes voluntarily, they are agreeing to the licence...
>
> the kernel is under the vanilla GPL, not only did Linus say so
> repeatedly, also it contains code that IS under the vanilla GPL.
> (eg taken from other projects etc etc).

Well, that's not *quite* accurate.

Vanilla GPL tends to be "version 2 or any later version", whereas Linux
is distributed *only* under version 2.

(Yes, rather nitpicky, and I'm not disagreeing with you in any
meaningful way - just trying to make sure archive searches find the correct
statements over and over again.)

--

Ryan Anderson
sometimes Pug Majere