Re: Why my computer freeze completely with xawtv ?

From: Gregoire Favre
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 19:03:26 EST

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 10:53:46AM +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:

Hello again :-)

> Gregoire Favre wrote:
> >I use DVB with VDR, but I can do the crash all the time without VDR, all
> >I have to do is to have xawtv running and having a process that write
> >fast enough data to an HD (I tested xfs, reiserfs, ext2 and ext3 with
> >same result). If I don't have xawtv running I can't make crashing my
> >system which is rock stable :-)
>
> Is xawtv running as root or with real time privileges? That could do it.

Normally I start xawtv this way:
xawtv -c /dev/v4l/video0 -geometry 770x580-0-0 -xvport 61 & as a normal
user, but I don't know what real time privileges are ?
I haven't modified in any way xawtv :
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 243K Oct 12 09:36 /usr/bin/xawtv

I got the problem under my Mandrake Cooker, and now(due to amd64) I am
under a gentoo-amd64.

Thank you very much for your interest in my problem :-)

Plese keep CC to me as I am not on the LKML (read through NNTP).
--
Grégoire Favre