acquireing IP address via DHCP

From: Suihong Liang
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 00:27:53 EST

Hi,

I have a question about WLAN: how does Linux recognize that it has entered
a 802.11 network? and how does it acquire an IP address via DHCP
automatically?

I've successfully configured the DHCP server and the mobile host to work
together. However I want to know the detailed procesures carried out, such
as how scan/authentication/association is triggered, how dhclient is
triggered?

My machine is a RH9 with kernel 2.4.26 or 2.6.7 (wireless extensions
used), and the wireless adapter is Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (driver from
http://at76c503a.berlios.de/).

Any information'd be appreciated.
suihong