Re: [2.6 patch] kill IN_STRING_C

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 12:01:07 EST

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 02:44:49PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > Can you still reproduce this problem?
> > If not, I'll suggest to apply the patch below which saves a few kB in
> > lib/string.o .
>
> I would prefer to keep it because there is no guarantee in gcc
> that it always inlines all string functions unless you pass
> -minline-all-stringops. And with that the code would
> be bloated much more than the few out of lined fallback
> string functions.

If I understand your changelog entry correctly, this wasn't the problem
(the asm string functions are "static inline").

Rethinking it, I don't even understand the sprintf example in your
changelog entry - shouldn't an inclusion of kernel.h always get it
right?

> Even if it works for you with your configuration it's just by luck.

The two configurations I tried are one configuration with _everything_
except modules enablesd, and the other was _everything_ modular.

That's why I'd like to have an example where it fails to understand the
problem.

> -Andi

cu
Adrian