Re: isa memory address

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 12:19:43 EST

Antonino Sergi wrote:
Hi,

I'm working with an old data acquisition system that uses an 8-bit card
in an ISA slot (address 0xd0000), by a simple driver I ported from
kernel 1.1.x to 2.2.24.

It works fine, but I'd like to have features by newer kernels (2.4 or
even 2.6), like new filesystems support.

On kernels >=2.4.0 check_region returns -EBUSY for that address,
but it is not actually used; I tried to understand if something has been
changed/removed, because of obsolescence of devices, in IO management,
but I couldn't.

Does anybody have any explanation/suggestion?

Please post contents of /proc/iomem .
I'm guessing that it will show something like:
000e0000-000effff : Extension ROM
(but for address 000d0000).
So then the question becomes how to assign/allocate it for your
driver.

You might have to dummy up a call to release_resource() first,
then use request_resource() to acquire it.
Or just use the addresses anyway.... even though check_region() says
-EBUSY. BTW, check_region() is deprecated in 2.6.x, so if your
driver could just use request_region() and release_region(), that
would be better.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Antonino Sergi

PS:As I'm not subscribed, please CC me your answers.

--
~Randy