RE: GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code

From: David Schwartz
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 17:00:03 EST

> I am not trying to defend sveasoft. Personally, I dislike their method,
> but I'm gathering information to try and understand who's right, who's
> wrong and if sveasoft is indeed violating the GPL.

To me, it's this simple. The GPL says you can impose no further
restrictions (beyond those in the GPL itself) on the exercise of the rights
contained in the GPL. Sveasoft does.

If Sveasoft is not violating the GPL, then the GPL can trivially be evaded
by anyone using a refinement of their technique. You simply make a person
agree not to ever request the source code or distribute the binary code in
exchange for agreeing to sell them the software in the first place.

DS