Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] drivers/media/video/ cleanups

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 19:47:36 EST

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:40:08PM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 06:50:17PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > the patch below contains several cleanups for drivers/media/video/, most
> > of them are:
> > - needlessly global code made static
> > - currenly unused code removed
>
> No, not this way in one big blob please. It would be very nice if you
> can split that into smaller pieces:
>
> (1) The ObviouslyCorrect stuff, i.e. make stuff static which isn't
> declared in any header file.
> (2) The stuff which needs some more careful review (drop functions,
> drop stuff from header files, ...).
>
> Especially the later please splitted by driver, so the driver
> maintainers can have a look (which is kida problematic for some v4l
> drivers as there is no active maintainer currently, but I'd prefeare
> to have that separately in my inbox neverless).

OK, the patches follow as followups to this mail.

> I don't like your attitude to just drop stuff as "cleanup". If
> functions are declared in a header file they are usually for a reason,
> thus that kind of stuff needs some careful checking whenever these
> reasons still exist or not. Not every function which isn't used at the

That's why I prefixed the subject with "RFC"...

> moment automatically is useless. cx88_risc_disasm() for example is
> useful for debugging the driver. And that there is no in-kernel user

But couldn't this be #if 0'ed?

This way it was easily available for developers, but wouldn't use space
for all users.

> for exported functions doesn't mean that nobody uses it. The stuff
> exported by bttv-if is used by lirc for example.

I've removed the bttv-if changes from the patches.

BTW: Can't lirc be included in the main kernel?

> Gerd

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.