Re: GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox +code

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 21:34:34 EST

On Monday 08 November 2004 06:00 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2004-11-08 at 20:53, David Schwartz wrote:
> > > I don't see the problem. If I ship you GPL code then you have no "right"
> > > to updates from me.
> >
> > Correct, but you do have the right to distribute the GPL'd code that you
> > received.
>
> You do with Sveasoft.
>
> > Can I say, "I'll ship you a copy to my privately-made derivative of the
> > Linux kernel, but only if you first sign a contract promising not to
> > distribute it".
>
> No but you can say "if you redistribute this I'm not interested in
> working with you any more"

Well, this is from their web page:

"The $20 USD subscription fee includes unlimited priority support,
full access to the Sveasoft forums, and unlimited access to new
firmware versions and upgrades."

So it looks like "if you exersize your right for the software in quesion
I terminate the contract we have entered into" as opposed to "I will not
extend your contract beyond initial term".

Isn't that an additional restriction? My rights for updates are revoked
if I distribute GPLed code.

--
Dmitry