Re: insmod module-loading errors, Linux-2.6.9

From: linux-os
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 07:50:19 EST

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:52:18 EST, linux-os said:

There are certainly work-arounds for problems that shouldn't
exist at all. So, every time I do something to a kernel, I
have to change whatever the EXTRAVERSION field is? Then, when
a customer demands that the kernel version be exactly the
same that was shipped with Fedora or whatever, I'm screwed.

If you didn't have the foresight to keep that kernel version around,
there isn't much we can do to help you. Yes, this may mean you have
a big bunch of /usr/src/linux-2.6.* directories.

Wrong. Whoever put the module-loading code INSIDE the kernel,
for POLITICAL reasons, created a new POLICY.

[SNIPPED...]

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.