Re: balance_pgdat(): where is total_scanned ever updated?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 14:39:05 EST

Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo.tosatti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:11:14PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Kernel version is 2.6.9, but I see no updates to this function in BK-current.
> > > How is total_scanned ever updated? AFAICT it is always zero.
> >
> > It's a bug which was introduced months ago when we added struct
> > reclaim_state.
> >
> > > In mm/vmscan.c:balance_pgdat(), there are these references to total_scanned
> > > (missing whitepace indicated by "^"):
> > >

> > > 977: int total_scanned, total_reclaimed;
> > >
> > > 983: total_scanned = 0;
> > >
> > > 1076: if (total_scanned > SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX * 2 &&
> > > 1077: total_scanned > total_reclaimed+total_reclaimed/2)
> > > ^ ^ ^ ^
> > >
> > > 1088: if (total_scanned && priority < DEF_PRIORITY - 2)
> > >

> > > Could this be part of the problems with reclaim? Or have I missed something?
> >
> > I had a patch which fixes it in -mm for a while. It does increase the
> > number of pages which are reclaimed via direct reclaim and decreases the
> > number of pages which are reclaimed by kswapd. As one would expect from
> > throttling kswapd. This seems undesirable.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Do you have any numbers to backup the claim "It does increase the
> number of pages which are reclaimed via direct reclaim and decreases the
> number of pages which are reclaimed by kswapd", please?

Run a workload and watch /proc/vmstat. iirc, the one-line total_scanned
fix takes the kswapd-vs-direct reclaim rate from 1:1 to 1:3 or thereabouts.

> Because linux-2.6.10-rc1-mm2 (and 2.6.9) completly ignores sc->may_writepage
> under normal operation, its only used when laptop_mode is on:
>
> if (laptop_mode && !sc->may_writepage)
> goto keep_locked;
>
> Is this intentional ???

yup. In laptop mode we try to scan further to find a clean page rather
than spinning up the disk for a writepage.

> > I'm leaving this alone until it can be demonstrated that fixing it improves
> > kernel behaviour in some manner.
>
> I dont see it working at all?

There's lots of useful info in /proc/vmstat.