Re: broken gcc 3.x update ("3.4.3""fixed")

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 15:35:34 EST

Al Viro wrote:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:40:10AM -0500, Clayton Weaver wrote:

Apropos of the recent "older compilers" discussion,
the string literal concatenation pre-processor bug
that I mentioned encountering in gcc-3.3.x and
gcc-3.4.[0,1] appears to be fixed in gcc-3.4.3.
(It was not the well-known "##" token pasting
pre-processor bug, incidentally.)

I've only tested with glibc-2.2.5 so far,
but I could reproduce it before with both
glibc-2.2.5 and glibc-2.3.2, so it probably
really is fixed.

1) What the hell does glibc version have to preprocessor behaviour?

There is no claim that it has anything, it just looks like a nice complete statement of the conditions of the test. I believe there were some issues with another problem, but I don't remember details.

2) Could you post the code (as small as possible) that triggers whatever
bug you are talking about? Not a "here's the fragment that gets miscompiled"
but something that could be fed to gcc and actually reproduce the bug.

I'd like to see that as well, in case it's something I might have in application code.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)