RE: GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox +code

From: Trever L. Adams
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 16:20:03 EST

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 18:14 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> 2. "I will pay you $1000 if you do not distribute the source"
>
> #2 Is interesting - its I think the borderline you intended to find, and
> I'm not sure anyone could call it either way without being a qualified
> lawyer.
>
> Alan

Alan, actually here in the States #2 is pretty easy to call. BTW, IANAL,
just have had to take law classes for various classes. The law here
clearly states that a contract is two parties exchanging things of
value.

Some text book examples of contracts include one parties
"consideration" (thing of value) may be refraining from exercising a
right/privilege they have.

Of course, anyone who is willing to give up rights indefinitely for a
small some of money or a small benefit is a fool, but hey.

Now of course, if they say "hey, I have this awesome change to this GPL
program, I will share it with you but only if you agree to not
distribute it is bogus. That violates the GPL on their part and revokes
their license.

Trever
--
"Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves." -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk