Re: Kernel 2.6.9 Multiple Page Allocation Failures

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 16:51:37 EST

Lukas Hejtmanek <xhejtman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I don't think there's really a bug here. It's a tiny bit racy, but that
> > will merely cause a small inaccuracy in the stats.
> >
> > I think I'll just drop the debug patch. You can disable
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT to shut things up.
>
> It did not help :( I had to disable CONFIG_PREEMPT to shut it up.
>
> I had:
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
> CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
>
> It did what I wrote.
> Then I had:
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> #CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
> #CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
>
> and I had the same (or similar messages)

Confused. Disabling CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT should make those messages go
away. lib/kernel_lock.c has:

#if defined(CONFIG_PREEMPT) && defined(__smp_processor_id) && \
defined(CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT)

/*
* Debugging check.
*/
unsigned int smp_processor_id(void)
{

printk(KERN_ERR "BUG: using smp_processor_id() in preemptible [%08x] code: %s/%d\n", preempt_count(), current->comm, current->pid);
print_symbol("caller is %s\n", (long)__builtin_return_address(0));
dump_stack();