Re: DEVFS_FS

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 19:24:55 EST

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 07:06:37PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 16:03, Alexandre Costa wrote:
> >On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:46:06 -0500 (EST), linux-os
> >
> ><linux-os@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> What is the approved substitute for DEVFS_FS that is marked
> >> obsolete?
> >
> >udev
> >http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html
>
> Humm, I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with that choice. I have an
> FC3RC5 install on an old P-II running at 233mhz, and the udev start
> in the bootup is the slowest single thing to get started by an order
> of magnitude.
>
> Can someone tell me a good reason udev wastes as much time as the post
> does checking 383 megs of memory, which is very nearly a minute even
> just for udev?

It's all up to the rules you are using for udev. If you have udev rules
that call out to scripts for every device (like I think the SuSE default
install does), udevstart can take a long time.

If you don't have any external dependancies, udevstart is fast.

> If its to be used, its got to speed itself up, a LOT!.

Please post what version of udev you are using, and what your udev rules
file looks like.

thanks,

greg k-h