Re: IO_APIC NMI Watchdog not handled by suspend/resume.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 15:40:28 EST

Hi.

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:30, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Tracking down SMP problems, I've found that if you boot with
> > nmi_watchdog=1 (IO_APIC), the watchdog continues to run while suspend is
> > doing sensitive things like restoring the original kernel. I don't know
> > enough to provide a patch to disable it so thought I'd ask if someone
> > could volunteer to fix this?
>
> When we debated this at x86-64 lists, our conclusion was 'critical
> section should take less than 5 seconds, and watchdog only touches its
> own variables, so stopping it should not be needed'. [on x86-64,
> watchdog is enabled even on up].

Oh... oops... Must be too early in the morning!

It's not merged, so I don't have to send the fix.

By the way, the slowness caused by sysdev is because of time.c; I'm
about to try reducing the number of get_cmos_time() calls, which should
speed it up by at least 2 seconds.

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6