Re: FB: vesafb garbled after using X11 with nv driver

From: Christian Hesse
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 17:34:04 EST

On Thursday 11 November 2004 22:55, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I use the nv driver in XFree and the vesafb for the framebuffer console.
> vesafb works fine, I get the bootlogo and all during boot.
>
> Once X11 starts up and I want to switch back to the framebuffer
> console using CTRL-ALT-F1, the framebuffer is garbled. The screen is
> flickering, as if the vertical synchronisation is lost. Colors seem to
> be OK, I get grey garbage on black background.
>
> Switching back to X11 using ALT-F7 works OK, the X11 screen looks fine.
>
> I made two screenshots to illuminate what I'm seeing:
> http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/bugreport/dsc02089.jpg
> http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/bugreport/dsc02090.jpg
> (watch out, high resolution)
>
> It's not entirely clear if it's an issue of the nv driver or the vesafb
> in the kernel.

I have a similar problem. With open source nv and vesafb the virtual terminal
looks like this if I switch back to the framebuffer:

http://linux.eworm.net/nv_offset.jpg

Everything is moved to the left, the right area is repeated some time and
fills the rest of the screen.

As binary nvidia module works without this problem I support it's a problem of
nv...

--
Christian Hesse

geek by nature