RE: PROMISE Ultra133 TX2 (PDC20269)

From: Enrico Bartky
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 10:54:42 EST

In the catalog there is described that the drive can use UDMA66 Mode

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/storage/hdd/eol/dhdd/mpd3xxat-catalog.html

"Piszcz, Justin Michael" <justin.piszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 12.11.04 16:46:08:

Maybe someone can step in if I am wrong, but I believe the drive cannot
use that mode.

There could also be multi-mode/issues.

Try hdparm -c3 -d1 -u1 -X68 /dev/hde

If that does not work, I am not sure if the drive will support that
mode.

For reference, I have a 61.4GB (MAXTOR) on a promise card, and it uses
the following mode in use:

Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
bytes avail on r/w long: 57 Queue depth: 1
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 0
Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
Recommended acoustic management value: 192, current value: 254
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns

And a 40GB:

Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
bytes avail on r/w long: 40 Queue depth: 32
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=240ns IORDY flow control=120ns

My guess is either:

1) The drive does not support it.
2) There is a multi-mode issue with DMA/the disk.
See the following kernel option:

Device Drivers --->
ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --->
<*> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
[*] Use multi-mode by default

The help states:

Use multi-mode by default
If you get this error, try to say Y here:
hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

If in doubt, say N.

I normally say Y here.