Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm3-V0.7.25-1

From: Shane Shrybman
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 12:53:10 EST

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 12:27, K.R. Foley wrote:
> Shane Shrybman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 16:51, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> >>i have released the -V0.7.25-1 Real-Time Preemption patch, which can be
> >>downloaded from the usual place:
> >>
> >> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/
> >>
> >>this is a fixes-only release that resolves a couple of bugs that slipped
> >>into -V0.7.25-0:
> >>
> >> - lockup/deadlock fix: make debug_direct_keyboard default to 0. It is
> >> only a debug helper to be used for development, it was never intended
> >> to be enabled. This fix should resolve the bugs reported by Gunther
> >> Persoons and Mark H. Johnson.
> >

> > Ahh, that probably explains the problems I had with it!
> >
> > V0.7.25-1 has been stable here with the ivtv driver for 11 hrs. No sign
> > of the ide dma time out issue either. Out of curiosity, do we know what
> > solved that problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Shane
> >

> What sort of errors did you get about the ide dma timeouts?

Typical example of the error message:

kernel: hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
kernel: ALSA sound/core/pcm_native.c:1424: playback drain error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)
kernel: PDC202XX: Primary channel reset.
kernel: hde: DMA interrupt recovery
kernel: hde: lost interrupt

This was on a Promise TX2 133 ide card with one IDE disk. The problem
would show itself if using the RT patches and APIC. But the problem seems
to have been resolved now.

> kr

Regards,

Shane