Re: ppc: fix up pmac IDE driver for driver core changes

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 21:28:57 EST

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 20:53 +0000, Linux Kernel Mailing List wrote:
> ChangeSet 1.2115, 2004/11/13 12:53:51-08:00, torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> ppc: fix up pmac IDE driver for driver core changes
>
> device power state is in "dev.power.power_state" now, rather than
> in "dev.power_state".

Hrm... Missed that core change, where does it come from ? doesn't quite
go in the direction we have been discussing on linux-pm lately, which
is rather to remove this power_state field entirely since it's mostly
meaningless at this point (or rather, it's semantics are confuse and the
userland interface to it is means pretty much nothing).

While having a power_state field here for internal use of the driver may
be "useful" (avoiding the need for drivers to maintain something
equivalent locally), it's pretty much impossible to have a generic
abstract power_state that has globally defined semantics, at least not
with our current scheme.

Ben.