Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm3-V0.7.25-1

From: Gunther Persoons
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 08:26:47 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Gunther Persoons <gunther_persoons@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As i thought the init scripts were my problem. But i have an other
question. I recently started to use NFS. But with the mainline kernel
cpu usage is 100%, and when i look in top si shows bewteen 40 and 60%
cpu usage. With your kernel si is 0%, but ksoftriqd/0 shows around 38%
cpu usage and total cpu usage is around 52%. Is this normal? on my
server cpu usage is 2% but it uses a intel network card. My laptop is
using a wireless pcmcia card (cisco).

normally the RT kernel has higher system overhead (all IRQ traffic goes
to separate thread contexts, involving context-switching, etc.) so a
_reduction_ in system overhead looks a bit strange. Is there a
difference in performance?

Ingo

With the mainline kernel i get speeds around 600-700kb/s and with the RT kernel i get speeds around 550kb/s. No other differnces except the cpu usage and that the RT kernel feels much more responsive.