ANN: Trustees linux for the 2.6 kernel

From: Andrew Ruder
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 16:55:20 EST

Hello all,

I have ported Vyacheslav Zavadsky's work with trustees (http://trustees.sourceforge.net) to the Linux security module API.

Trustees is an advanced Linux permission system inspired by Netware. It allows a system administrator to attach "trustees" to any directory or file. All subdirectories and files in that directory will also inherit these trustees. Trustee rights can be overridden, denied or added to in subsequent directories.

In short, it is a recursive directory-based replacement for POSIX acls. All permissions are managed from a central file and thus allows even filesystems (network, vfat, etc.) without extended attribute support to have an advanced permission scheme. It should compile against any version of the 2.6 kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY enabled (it currently compiles as just an external module).

Please see my website for more information:
http://www.aeruder.net/trustees/

Download:
http://www.aeruder.net/trustees/download.php?download=current

Documentation:
http://www.aeruder.net/trustees/documentation.php?download=current

I have been using it for a couple weeks with no problems, but your mileage may vary. The code still needs some cleanups, and I need to figure out how to do some benchmarking on the performance hit, but I would very much so appreciate feedback, bug-reports, etc.

Thanks and I am not on the list so please Cc any replies,
Andrew Ruder