Re: Oops in 2.6.10-rc1 (solved)

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 07:42:49 EST

Matt Domsch schrieb:

> OK, the patch below (which Linus applied to his tree yesterday) should
> fix the oopses.

so i've compiled a pristine 2.6.10-rc1-bk24 as your patch should be
included there (i've tried to apply your patch with --dry-run -> it did
not succeed, -R *would* have been successful) and finally it works!

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/prinz/2.6.10-rc1/dmesg-2.6.10-rc1-bk24.txt
http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/prinz/2.6.10-rc1/config-2.6.10-rc1-bk24

snd_ens1371 is working fine, no oops, i can load/unload the drivers, no
problems ;-)

>>BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 16 devices found
>
> but the patch to edd.S doesn't resolve that EDD believes you've got 16
> devices (I would expect it to report 2, as you have only 2 disks).

but still:

BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 6 devices found

i have 2 disks now (1 ide, 1 scsi), 2 cdrom drives (ide). as you can see
from the dmesg, i have an additional ide-controller onboard:

PDC20265: chipset revision 2
PDC20265: ROM enabled at 0xdffe0000
PDC20265: 100% native mode on irq 10
PDC20265: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:DMA
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xb408-0xb40f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
Probing IDE interface ide2...
hde: ST320413A, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xbc00-0xbc07,0xb802 on irq 10
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide1...
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide4...
ide4: Wait for ready failed before probe !
Probing IDE interface ide5...
ide5: Wait for ready failed before probe !

but there are only 4 ide channels on my board (Gigabyte GA7ZXR):
ide0 - with hda+hdb connected (2x cdrom)
ide1 - none
ide2 - with hde connected (ST320413A)
ide3 - none

so it's probing for a non-existent ide4+ide5! but it did that even in -bk4
times, so it's not "new behaviour", i guess.

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/prinz/2.6.10-rc1/dmesg-2.6.9-bk4.txt

anyway, it's working now, the oops is gone, but i can do further testing
regarding this EDD issue of course.

Thanks to all involved,
Christian.
- --