Re: Problem: 2.4.26/27 & 2.6.9 Audio CD Burning

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 15:54:22 EST

Steven E. Woolard wrote:
I've reproduced this problem on my system with 2.4.26, 2.4.27, and 2.6.9. When trying to burn an audio CD with cdrecord, the system load average will skyrocket (relitively speaking) up to 4 or 5 sometimes reaching 10 or higher. This does not happen with data CD's or at all with 2.6.7 kernel. I used scsi emulation (of course) on 2.4.26 and 2.4.27--not 2.6.9.

Side Notes:
DMA is enabled, I have tried downgrading cdrtools, and if I remember correctly it has the same problem in 2.6.8(.1).

Hardware:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1024MB RAM
VIA VT82C686 Southbridge (IDE Controller)
LITE-ON LTR48246S CDRW Drive

My understanding based on experience is that with a 2.4 kernel you will get a high load average burning audio, and the quickest fix is to use speed= to slow the burn.

With 2.6 you should get DMA using the ATAPI:/dev/hdX interface, and in fact I do see only a few percent CPU burning at 40x (max) and a lowly 2.0GHz Celeron.

If none of this helps, do run "vmstat 1" to a file while running, and post your command line used to start the burn. You might try "ATA:" as well for comparison. I don't know if "-dummy" will allow you to test without actually burning or not.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)