Re: ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

From: Roland McGrath
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 17:59:40 EST

> No, TIF_SINGLESTEP gets set even when the _user_ set TF. It is just a flag
> saying that we should re-enable TF when we get back to user space.
>
> So TIF_SINGLESTEP in no way implies that TF was set by a debugger.

Ok, whatever. I'm not really sure its use for the single-step stuff in
Davide Libenzi's changes doesn't change the expected behavior for the
nondebugger case, but it's too early in the morning to think hard about that.

Your change hit only one spot of three in arch/i386/kernel/signal.c where
PT_PTRACED is now tested and it should be a "is PTRACE_SINGLESTEP in effect?"
test. Also the same spots in native and 32-bit emul for x86-64.

Thanks,
Roland