Re: hotplug_path no longer exported

From: Colin Leroy
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 18:01:25 EST

On 17 Nov 2004 at 13h11, Greg KH wrote:

Hi,

> > hotplug_path is no longer exported, is this on purpose ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > It breaks linux-wlan-ng. If it is on purpose, I suppose
> > linux-wlan-ng should use kobject_hotplug() ?
>
> Yes it should. Why was it not useing that function in the first
> place?

Dunno. This driver has a reputation of being the worse wlan driver for
prism2 chipsets out there, but it's the only one supporting USB devices.

> No, please use kobject_hotplug(). Actually, what are they doing that
> they need to call kobject_hotplug() in the first place?

To propagate events to scripts, I think:
void p80211_suspend(wlandevice_t *wlandev)
{
p80211_run_sbin_hotplug(wlandev, WLAN_HOTPLUG_SUSPEND);
}
int register_wlandev(wlandevice_t *wlandev)
{
netdevice_t *dev = wlandev->netdev;
... if (register_netdev(dev)) {
return -EIO;
}
p80211_run_sbin_hotplug(wlandev, WLAN_HOTPLUG_REGISTER);
}

With p80211_run_sbin_hotplug doing stuff to call /sbin/hotplug...
The one that will write a correct patch to linux-wlan-ng will have to
figure out the different events they use: "register" (instead of "add"),
"startup", "shutdown", "resume", "suspend"...

--
Colin
http://www.colino.net/