Re: [linux-usb-devel] Linux support for SiLabs CP2102 devices

From: Marr
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 14:48:40 EST

On Thursday 18 November 2004 12:39pm, Greg KH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been getting a lot of requests lately to see if Linux supports the
> USB to serial device from Silicon Laboratories called the CP2102 chip.
> It turns out that the company is claiming Linux support, yet they are
> only shipping a binary driver for Red Hat Linux 9.0.
>
> In talking with the company, they insist that they will not release the
> source code to this module, and they claim that they are not infringing
> on any rights by not doing so.

(... snip ...)

> So, they are in violation, so what. Well, I can't do much about this
> (due to my employer's rules about suing companies). But I can do my
> best to spread the word that the CP2102 device is not supported on
> Linux, and should be avoided at all costs by anyone considering such a
> device in a future design. I encourage everyone else to help spread
> this information too.

(... snip ...)

> So, in conclusion, please stay away from Silicon Laboratories devices,
> if you want to run Linux, as they are obviously not supporting Linux in
> any way.

If anyone has the USB Vendor/Product IDs (VID/PID) for these errant devices, a
negative report (maybe including a link back to Greg's post in the
Linux-USB-Devel list archives [http://
marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=110079963113076&w=2]) should be
submitted to the USB 'Working Devices' list for RS-232/USB adapters at:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=12

(I just did a search at that location for 'CP2102' and 'Silicon' and 'SiLabs'
and found no entries for any such devices. I don't see any USB VID/PID info
about them or their devices in the 'usb.ids' file either.)

That might help keep future users away from the devices of a company with such
a poorly-thought-out policy.

Thank you, Greg, for alerting us to this situation.

Bill Marr