Re: Xen 2.0 VMM patches

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 16:45:30 EST

Ian Pratt wrote:

Original Xen 2.0 release annoucement:

The Xen team are pleased to announce the release of Xen 2.0, the
open-source Virtual Machine Monitor. Xen enables you to run
multiple operating systems images concurrently on the same
hardware, securely partitioning the resources of the machine
between them. Xen uses a technique called 'para-virtualization'
to achieve very low performance overhead -- typically just a few

I wasn't about to mention this, but since you reposted it I will. I shared the original post with a number of people and at least three mentioned it.

The term "low performance overhead" just seems to make people thinks it's slow, and they don't read past it. I highly suggest either "low overhead" or "low performance impact" would avoid this.

Perhaps I just know a lot of other people who suffer from literalism.

percent relative to native. This new release provides kernel
support for Linux 2.4.27/2.6.9, NetBSD and FreeBSD.

Xen 2.0 runs on almost the entire set of modern x86 hardware
supported by Linux, and is easy to 'drop-in' to an existing Linux
installation. The new release has a lot more flexibility in how
guest OS virtual I/O devices are configured. For example, you can
configure arbitrary firewalling, bridging and routing of guest
virtual network interfaces, and use copy-on-write LVM volumes or
loopback files for storing guest OS disk images. Another new
feature is 'live migration', which allows running OS images to be
moved between nodes in a cluster without having to stop
them. Visit http://xen.sf.net for downloads and documentation.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)