IDE ioctl documentation & a new ioctl

From: Edward Falk
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 21:53:27 EST

Hi all; let me introduce myself: I'm the guy that does IDE sustaining for Google.

I'm getting ready to sit down and document the IDE ioctls. Probably Documentation/hdio.txt or something like that. Before I start though, is anybody already doing this?

And while I'm on the subject, we're getting ready to write a new hdio ioctl, an extension of HDIO_DRIVE_CMD. The intent here is to be slightly more general-purpose than HDIO_DRIVE_CMD, with an eye to supporting the full set of SMART functionality. Current plan is to have the user pass a struct containing a pointer to the argument list, a pointer to the data buffer, and a data buffer length value. Consider this a design document; any comments and/or feature requests?

-ed falk
efalk@xxxxxxxxxx