what is the need for task_rq in setscheduler?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 23:14:57 EST

I'm curious to the need for the task_rq in setscheduler in the following
code:

3316 rq = task_rq_lock(p, &flags);
3317 /* recheck policy now with rq lock held */
3318 if (unlikely(oldpolicy != -1 && oldpolicy != p->policy)) {
3319 policy = oldpolicy = -1;
3320 task_rq_unlock(rq, &flags);
3321 goto recheck;
3322 }
3323 array = p->array;
3324 if (array)
3325 deactivate_task(p, task_rq(p));
3326 retval = 0;
3327 oldprio = p->prio;
3328 __setscheduler(p, policy, lp.sched_priority);
3329 if (array) {
3330 __activate_task(p, task_rq(p));
3331 /*
3332 * Reschedule if we are currently running on this runqueue and
3333 * our priority decreased, or if we are not currently running on
3334 * this runqueue and our priority is higher than the current's
3335 */
3336 if (task_running(rq, p)) {
3337 if (p->prio > oldprio)
3338 resched_task(rq->curr);
3339 } else if (TASK_PREEMPTS_CURR(p, rq))
3340 resched_task(rq->curr);
3341 }
3342 task_rq_unlock(rq, &flags);

On lines 3325 and 3330 with the calls to deactivate_task and
__activate_task respectively. The runqueue is locked at 3316. Can the
runqueue returned by task_rq change in this setup? If not, what is the
need for the call to task_rq. Can't rq just be used instead, or is this
just some extra paranoia?

Thanks,

-- Steve