Re: r8169.c

From: Dorn Hetzel
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 18:25:08 EST

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:12:03PM +0100, Francois Romieu wrote:
> Dorn Hetzel <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
> [Abit AA8 experience]
>
> Do something else:
> - take a look at the changes for the 8169 driver in Jeff Garzik's -netdev
> patchkit (included in -mm). It may be interesting to know how it behaves;

Thank you very much for the pointers. I have been using Linux for
ages (well, since 1993 anyway), but this is my first attempt at fixing
something in the kernel. (first time I've needed to :) )

I'm off to look for and try the -mm patchkit after I write this?
Will it apply to 2.6.10-rc2? (I had to get to rc2 to get my SATA controller
to work) :)

> - less +/8169 MAINTAINERS;
> - provide a more elaborate description of the issue with your computer
> (+ gcc version, lspci -vx, dmesg at boot, lsmod, /proc/interrupts, ifconfig);

with regard to the "original" version shipping with 2.6.10-rc2
(which seems to be identical to the version in 2.6.9)...

gcc version = 2.95.4 (happy to update that if you think it will help)

see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/orig/lspci.txt for the lspci -vx
see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/orig/dmesg.txt for the dmesg

lsmod returns empty because though I have module support enabled, I'm
building everything I'm using in directly...

see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/orig/interrupts.txt for the /proc/interrupts
see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/orig/ifconfig.txt for the ifconfig -a

"NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out" is one of the observed
errors. "RX: no buffer available" (or similar, from memory) is another.

with regard to version "2.3" (my hacked version)...

gcc version = 2.95.4 (happy to update that if you think it will help)

see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/v23/lspci.txt for the lspci -vx
see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/v23/dmesg.txt for the dmesg

see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/v23/interrupts.txt for the /proc/interrupts
see http://www.hetzel.org/8169/v23/ifconfig.txt for the ifconfig -a

> - realize that the so called version number in 2.6.9 has no meaning.

By this, do you mean that the comment of version number in the r8169.c
of 2.6.9 is no longer related to the version numbers at Realtek?

> Last time I looked at Realtek's driver (linux-8169(220).zip), it still
> contained bugs which had been fixed in mainline (though it merges some
> part of it) and I did not find anything which should do a difference
> from a correctness POV. Intermediate versions of Realtek's code are
> not available and the datasheet has disappeared from their website.
> With due respect for Realtek's work (serious, really) it does not make
> my life fun _at all_ (and I guess that "my" is also accurate for anyone
> who tries to work with the 8169 driver on the long run).

Yeah, I noticed just one version and no history, but to the good, it
does work for me, at least so far, after the minor patch :)

> Btw merging a 20 megaton patch is not the way network drivers changes
> are submitted. People expect a serie of small changes whose effects
> are clearly explained (see http://linux.yyz.us/patch-format.html for
> the suggested format).

I was pretty sure the Godzilla patch was not the answer, I just couldn't
figure out what the answer was... I had fixed *my* problem, for now,
but it would be nice to share it if it's worth sharing...

> Imho your issue is not completely specific to the 8169 hardware. With
> a wet finger in the wind, I'd suspect something related to timing or irq
> (duration of locking or such).
>
> Please Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx on further messages. Cc: jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx
> for network devices patches is also suggested.

Done.

-Dorn