Re: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 21:53:11 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

Unprivileged triggers for full-tasklist scans are NMI oops material.

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 01:25:37PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

What about pushing the per-thread rss delta back into the global atomic
rss counter in each schedule()?
Pros:
This would take the task exiting problem into its stride as a matter of
course.
Single atomic read to get rss.
Cons:
would just be moving the atomic op somewhere else if we don't get
many page faults per schedule.
Not really nice dependancies.
Assumes schedule (not context switch) must occur somewhat regularly.
At present this is not true for SCHED_FIFO tasks.
Too nasty?

This doesn't sound too hot. There's enough accounting that can't be
done anywhere but schedule(), and this can be done elsewhere. Plus,
you're moving an already too-frequent operation to a more frequent
callsite.

No, it won't somehow increase the number of atomic rss operations
just because schedule is called more often. The number of ops will
be at _most_ the number of page faults.

But I agree with your overall evaluation of its 'hotness'. Just
another idea. Give this monkey another thousand years at the keys
and he'll come up with the perfect solution :P