Re: pci-resume patch from 2.6.7-rc2 breakes S3 resume on somemachines

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 02:35:44 EST

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 02:43 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry, that's beyond my abilities. That's why I'm posting here. I'm not
> >> even sure that it's the radeon which is acting up here.
> >
> > Have you tried with radeonfb in your kernel config ?
>
> In the general case, it's harder to resume systems using framebuffers
> than systems that don't. The contortions that are necessary for non-fb
> systems tend to break fb systems (you end up with userspace and the
> kernel both trying to get the graphics hardware back into a sane state),
> so in an ideal world resume would work without any framebuffer support.

Bullshit...

Well... In an ideal world, the video chip would come up all back by
itself and nobody would have to care... unfortunately we aren't in an
ideal world.

With the way video cards are evolving, we'll soon have no choice but
have a kernel driver bring the chip back. Userspace has nothing to do
with that, and userspace & kernel aren't fighting over it.

Ben.