Re: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 12:15:37 EST

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> Per thread seems much nicer to me - mainly because it degrades cleanly to
> a single counter for 99% of processes, which are single threaded.

I will pretty much guarantee that if you put the per-thread patches next
to some abomination with per-cpu allocation for each mm, the choice will
be clear. Especially if the per-cpu/per-mm thing tries to avoid false
cacheline sharing, which sounds really "interesting" in itself.

And without the cacheline sharing avoidance, what's the point of this
again? It sure wasn't to make the code simpler. It was about performance
and scalability.

Linus