Re: ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

From: Jesse Allen
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 16:48:39 EST

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 01:53:38PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting the feeling that the question of whether to step into
> > signal handlers is orthogonal to single-stepping; maybe it should be a
> > separate ptrace operation.
>
> I really don't see why. If a controlling process is asking for
> single-stepping, then it damn well should get it. It it doesn't want to
> single-step through a signal handler, then it could decide to just put a
> breakpoint on the return point (possibly by modifying the signal handler
> save area).
>
> It's not like single-stepping into the signal handler in any way removes
> any information (while _not_ single-stepping into it clearly does).
>
> With the patch I just posted (assuming it works for people), Wine should
> at least have the choice. The behaviour now should be:
>
> - if the app sets TF on its own, it will cause a SIGTRAP which it can
> catch.
> - if the debugger sets TF with SINGLESTEP, it will single-step into a
> signal handler.
> - it the app sets TF _and_ you ptrace it, you the ptracer will see the
> debug event and catch it. However, doing a "continue" at that point
> will remove the TF flag (and always has), the app will normally then
> never see the trap. You can do a "signal SIGTRAP" to actually force
> the trap handler to tun, but that one won't actually single-step (it's
> a "continue" in all other senses).
>
> It sounds like the third case is what wine wants.
>
> Linus

So an app running through wine could set TF on it's own? It would be a
good idea to find out what it is doing in the first place. There has to be
a reason why War3 is so picky after the original change was introduced and
a reason why the latest changes don't seem to fix it.

I've built a kernel 2.6.10-rc2 with the new ptrace patch. The program still
says "please insert disc". I haven't been able to get winedbg to tell me
anything useful -- the program never crashes anyways. So I went ahead and I
captured a debug log.

the command:
WINEDEBUG=+all wine war3/Warcraft\ III.exe -opengl >& war3_and_2.6.10-rc2.log

I scanned for the part right before it calls up to display the error. I found
that after loading advapi32.dll, the thread 000c creates a mutex and wakes up
000a. Then 000c gets killed and right after that starts calling up the
resources for the "insert disc" message box. I put the log up on my ftp, and
the interesting part in a seperate file:
ftp://resnet.dnip.net/

Any clue on what may be happening here? Or maybe another idea on where else to search?

Jesse