Re: [2.6 patch] Use -ffreestanding? (fwd)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 01:12:51 EST

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> for the kernel, it would be logical to use -ffreestanding. The kernel is
> not a hosted environment with a standard C library.
>
> Linus agreed that it would make sense.

Note that while I agree that it sounds sensible, it would be good to have
somebody specify exactly what changes from the use of "-ffreestanding".

I _assume_ that all the things that gcc takes for granted are things that
Linux already has its own definitions for, and that -ffreestanding doesn't
actually change anything for at least the regular architectures. But if
there is any object code changes, can you check those out and explain
them?

Linus