Re: Linux 2.6.9 pktgen module causes INIT process respawning and sickness

From: Lincoln Dale
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 20:36:13 EST

At 11:36 AM 23/11/2004, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
I've studied these types of problems for years, and I think it's possible even for Linux.

so you have the source code --if its such a big deal for you, how about you contribute the work to make this possible ?

Bryan Sparks says no to open sourcing this code in Linux. Sorry -- I asked. I am allowed to open source any modifications
to public kernel sources like dev.c since we have an obligation to do so. I will provide source code enhancements for the kernel
for anyone who purchases our Linux based appliances and asks for the source code (so says Bryan Sparks). You can issue a purchase
request to Bryan Sparks (bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) if you want any source code changes for the Linux kernel.

LOL. in wonderland again?

the fact is, large-packet-per-second generation fits into two categories:
(a) script kiddies / haxors who are interested in building DoS tools
(b) folks that spend too much time benchmarking.

for the (b) case, typically the PPS-generation is only part of it. getting meaningful statistics on reordering (if any) as well as accurate latency and ideally real-world traffic flows is important. there are specialized tools out there to do this: Spirent, Ixia, Agilent et al make them.

There are about four pages of listings of open source tools and scripts that do this -- we support all of them.

so you're creating a packet-generation tool?
you mentioned already that you had to increase receive-buffers up to some large number. doesn't sound like a very useful packet-generation tool if you're internally having to buffer >60K packets . . .
LOL.

i wouldn't call pushing minimum-packet-size @ 1GbE (which is 46 payload, 72 bytes on the wire btw) "real world". and its 1.488M packets/second.
I agree. I have also noticed that CISCO routers are not even able to withstand these rates with 64 byte packets without dropping them,
so I agree this is not real world. It is useful testing howevr, to determine the limits and bottlenecks of where things break.

Cisco software-based routers? sure ...
however, if you had an application which required wire-rate minimum-sized frames, then a software-based router wouldn't really be your platform of choice.

hint: go look at EANTC's testing of GbE and 10GbE L3 switches.

there's public test data of 10GbE with 10,000-line ACLs for both IPv4 & IPv6-based L3 switching.

cheers,

lincoln.