Re: file as a directory

From: Amit Gud
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 09:20:05 EST

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:00:37 +0100 (MET), Jan Engelhardt
<jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way I know whether a file should
> >be treated as directory or as a file (atleast how I've implemented it)
> >depends upon the context (how the file is accessed) in the user-space
> >and this context is reflected in the kernel space in the flags of the
> >struct nameidata. So ...
>
> And there I see a problem! The open() call (kernel: sys_open) allows to open
> both files and directories in the standard operation.
> There is the O_DIRECTORY user-space flag, but which only says "it must be a
> directory". So there's something missing to say "must be a file".
>
> Hell will freeze over if a reiser4 "object" can be ANY type, blockdev,
> chardev, symlink, <think something up>.

Of course, I check before-hand if the file is archive (.tar, for now).
And then if the appropriate flag is set...treat it as a directory, or
else leave it. Again, if tar format looks as expected, support it or
else leave it.

AG
--
May the source be with you.