Re: Compact Flash - simulating a card

From: Justin Patrin
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 03:24:30 EST

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:42:14 +0100, Norbert van Nobelen
<norbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is actually not really of topic, so so much for getting shunted.
>
> Anyway:
> If you edit the modules part (manuals enough on the internet, watch your
> kernel version, because modules changed a bit between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels),
> you can force the identifier of your card to be matched with a CF device.
> Take the best matching device.
> If you don't have any match at all, you have a problem, i.e. it will not work.

Well, it should be a storage device...

> I don't know the Zaurus (except from a nice picture), so I don't know what
> kind of port is used for the CF card (IDE? PCMCIA? other?). If it is an IDE
> port, it should work at once. It does not need any other information.

It's got a normal CF slot with (I think) a PCMCIA bridge. You can plug
in CF memory crad and microdrives as well as CF Wifi cards.

Basically I would want to connect the CF card as an IDE device (I have
no idea how to expose one device as another, although I think the
current CF storage device driver does this).

> For the rest it sounds to me like you are doing a hardware hack.

So you think that I could force the kernel to assume that a device is
present? Meaning that there's no hardware-level stuff that has to
happen?

Of course the hard part is *where* I would edit the kernel for
this...probably in the PCMCIA stuff. I know that that's where the
timout message I was seeing was coming from.

--
Justin Patrin