Re: Kernel 2.6.9 Question w/4port Ethernet Card & MII Transceivers

From: Michael Hunold
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 05:26:03 EST

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problems, see:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0409.0/0565.html

On 23.11.2004 14:02, Justin Piszcz wrote:
Question regarding the warnings, it appears to find a MII transceiver but then it warns saying it does not?

I'm having the same problem with a 2port card. After a cold boot, the transceivers are not found and I need to do a reset. Afterwards, everything is fine.

Is it a problem?

For me, yes. I'm using one port to connect to my adsl provider. After a cold boot, this fails.

If it is not using a HW tranceiver, does this cause a loss in performance?

I don't know.

Can you try to reboot the machine and see if the problem goes away (ie. the transceivers are found)?

Do you have a 2.4 kernel where the card works after a cold boot?

So far nobody has come up with a solution and I don't reboot the machine that often. But it's "good" to know that I'm not alone with the problem. ;-(

CU
Michael.