Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.31-0

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 14:32:16 EST

* Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> last thing, at the moment, that "reliably" locks up the machine is
> accessing the floppy-disk (dev/fd0). Yes, I still have one here, and
> it was just yesterday that I've tried to mount on it and bang!
> power-off and a cold-boot follows. Reproducibility? ALWAYS is often
> enough. Nothing shows up via serial console.

will take a look.

> [...] Jackd XRUN rates are pretty low and on the same level (e.g. less
> than 5 per hour with the default jack_test3.1 test), [...]

could you post the jack_test summary outputs?

> Oh well. But let's get back to reality :) How can I help on fixing
> this floppy showstopper? I've tried with almost every debug option set
> and nothing is dumped either on syslog or serial console. The only
> visible thing is that, once the floppy starts spinning (LED is on) the
> machine freezes. Weird.

how hard of a freeze is it? I.e. if you log in over the text console,
and do:

chrt -f 99 -p `pidof 'IRQ 1'`
chrt -f 99 -p $$

can you access the sysrq keys after the freeze happens? If not, can you
access them if you do:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/debug_direct_keyboard

? And finally, if the above experiments suggest that it's a hard lockup,
do you have a working NMI watchdog? (i.e. do the NMI counts in
/proc/interrupt increase on all CPUs?)

Ingo