Re: PROBLEM: Compatibility problem with C++, i386 & ia64 platform

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 20:58:42 EST

On Maw, 2004-11-23 at 12:54, Joakim Bentholm XQ (AS/EAB) wrote:
> Maybe the system.h is not supposed to be included outside the kernel?
> Is there a less crude way of getting hold of the macros?

Nobody has really done serious C++ work with the base kernel. Getting
things like interrupt safe C++ memory and exception handling is not
exactly trivial
stuff. As such the kernel isn't really designed to be C++ friendly so
there are various uses of names like "new" in the kernel.

Developing kernel modules with C++ probably isn't ideal but I don't see
any problem in fixing the users of variables like "new" if you want to
do it and submit tested patches to akpm@xxxxxxxxx

Alan